September/10th Through October/12th
Gallery [context] at Seattle Design Center
5701 Sixth Avenue South, Suite 262
Seattle, WA 98108
Design is the creation of a plan or convention for the construction of an object or a system (as in architectural blueprints, engineering drawing,business process, circuit diagrams and sewing patterns). Design has different connotations in different fields (see design disciplines below). In some cases the direct construction of an object (as in pottery, engineering, management, cowboy coding and graphic design) is also considered as design.
More formally design has been defined as follows.
- (noun) a specification of an object, manifested by an agent, intended to accomplish goals, in a particular environment, using a set of primitive components, satisfying a set of requirements, subject to constraints;
- (verb, transitive) to create a design, in an environment (where the designer operates)
- Another definition for design is a roadmap or a strategic approach for someone to achieve a unique expectation. It defines the specifications, plans, parameters, costs, activities, processes and how and what to do within legal, political, social, environmental, safety and economic constraints in achieving that objective.
presence (NOUN, plural presences)
- The fact or condition of being present, or of being within sight or call, or at hand; [Any painter can benefit from the presence of a live model from which to draw.]
- The part of space within one’s immediate vicinity. [Bob never said anything about it in my presence.]
- A quality of poise and effectiveness that enables a performer to achieve a close relationship with his audience. [Despite being less than five foot, she filled up the theatre with her stage presence.]
- Something (as a spirit) felt or believed to be present. [I’m convinced that there was a presence in that building that I can’t explain, which led to my heroic actions.]
- A company‘s business activity in a particular market.
- The state of being closely focused on the here and now, not distracted by irrelevant thoughts.
Recent Article featuring Kim Tinuviel: